Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Austen, Chadda and Mr.Darcy

Finished reading Pride and Prejudice few days back, took longer than usual to read it. I am not really into classics, read them mostly in school but I think I am now in a better position to appreciate them. Loved reading this one, the plot is not very complicated, the charachters are identifiable and the situations they get into and get out of are very real. Elizabeth Benett, the leading lady of this book is now one of my favorite characters. Aishwarya Rai played her role in Bride and Prejudice and was ok( I am not a fan of Ms. Rai). The movie though, was not ok, I thought it was very silly and was not surprised to see it fail miserably. But reading the book, I really think it was clever of Gurinder Chadda to come up with the Indianised version of the movie. The Benetts are like any other Indian family with their mother fretting over getting her five daughters married. But then, there was nothing really Indian about the movie except for the weddings, songs and a glimpse of the Golden temple. It ended up being a plain (and boring) adaptation of the book. She also had lifeguards singing and dancing in the movie! What was she thinking? She could have done better.

Talking about favorite characters, my other all time favorite is Bridget Jones from Bridget Jones Diary. Bridget is everything Elizabeth is not. Elizabeth is senisible, intelligent and yet vulnerable. She trusts her judgement, speaks her mind and does what she wants to do. Bridget is wild, quriky and confused. She lacks judgement, if she spoke her mind she would lose her job and she does what she cant avoid doing(like falling down the firemans pole!) .I cant decide which one is funnier, the book or the movie, Rene Zellweger was perfect as Bridget but to understand the psyche of Bridget one needs to read the book.

Though poles apart, they both have something in common (apart from being British and their creators being British women), they both fall for Mr. Darcy!!!!!!

I think there is a Bridget Jones in me who wants to be Elizabeth Benett. Meanwhile I'll wait for Mr. Darcy.

4 comments:

johnny boy said...

Hmmmm, Bridget Jones Diary was damn cool!!!
By the way, all the best, in ur search for Mr Darcy! :-)

FlyingHigh said...

Johnny boy , Hey thanks...havent really started a search..I hope to bump into him oneday :)

Anonymous said...

hmm judging by the difference in the traits of elizabeth and bridget and if Darcy falls for both of them, am beginning to wonder what kind of person Darcy is actually :D

kanags

FlyingHigh said...

Kanags I'll begin to wonder abt Darcy if he actually falls for someone who has multiple personalities like me! :))