Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Auto Deal

I got down from the bus, tired from the long journey. I was happy to be back in Bangalore and glad to see an auto driver approaching me.

Auto driver : Kaha jana hai madam?
('Where do you want to go madam?' in Hindi)
Me : *****nagar
(Thats where I live)
Auto driver : 80 rupees madam, subah meter nahi chalta hai.
('80 rupees, no meter in the morning', again in hindi)
Me : 35 rupees kodtini, bartira?
('I'll give 35 rupees, are u coming?' in Kannada)
Auto driver : nalvattu rupayi kodi.
('Give me forty', in Kannada of course)
Me : Ayitu.
('OK')

Heh, all those who come to the city are'nt necessarily outsiders!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

atleast he didnt ask u if u were an engineer :D

kanags

FlyingHigh said...

Hehe! By default, everybody here is an engineer, but yeah he didnt know I was from bangalore :)

Rohan Kumar said...

Hi first time here, neat blog specially liked the post on the standard auto rickshaw-commuter conversation in India for the uninitiated :)

Someone said...

Hey I had similar xperiences in B'lore too. If I used to negotiate, the prices were steep but if mylocal friends did it, prices fell down drastically. Guess that's one thing common throughout the country.
btw, nice to c that ur blog is gaining popularity. Keep up the good work

FlyingHigh said...

Rohan, Welcome to my blog! I guess it is one of those 'standard' conversations. I very rarely win against these people so decided to share my victory :)

FlyingHigh said...

Supriy, Most ppl are just returning favours, I am blog surfing a lot these days. Soon they will realise I dont have anything interesting to say :)

Anonymous said...

If you know kannada, you'd have heard this very famous one liner

"Xnagar bartera?"

"Gaadi barolla saar"

:))

Arunz

FlyingHigh said...

Arun, Yeah hear tht a lot except in my case its "Gaadi barolla madam", No actually, "Gaadi barolla amma" :)

FlyingHigh said...

Prashant..that tie will easily cost u another 10 bucks! Good luck! :))