Monday, February 20, 2006

Betrothed!!

That is a scary sounding word. Just like executed or strangulated. That is how I will probably feel when its 'my turn'. Luckily it wasn't my turn but a very close friend of mine got engaged recently. She will be the first in our group to get married. But that was expected considering the fact that she said she would be getting married 3 years ago. Things don't go as planned is what I say. So stop planning is also what I say.

It was like any other engagement party. My friend looked pretty. He looked dazed, smitten by her. They looked nice next to each other both nervous and excited at the same time. They exchanged rings. We clapped. People wondered why we clapped. Everyone blessed them. It was perfect. We then threatened that we would tell him about a particular someone in her life. (Particular someone wasn't invited. He will be invited to the wedding though. That's what my friend says. Let me see.)

She is both my School mate and College mate so it was like a double reunion party for me. Almost everybody thinks I have lost weight which should be a good thing but very few people meant it as a compliment. The secret, Girls, is very simple, I lived away from home and I cooked for myself. But most of the conversation revolved around whose turn it was next and why everyone's marriage was getting 'delayed'. We finally concluded that our batch was cursed. I am however very thankful to the devils or whoever it is that has cursing rights. (You might want to ease the curse a little bit though, some people are waiting to get married)

As is the norm I had to goof up. But it wasnt anything major. When I introduced a School friend S to a college friend J, I said "You two probably met at my house warming ceremony". To which J said "Err Shradha, you never invited me to your house warming ceremony". Though S found it very amusing I was turning red. Sorry J, I really cant remember why I didn't invite you. Also, the friend with whom I had fought, turned up. We acted like nothing had happened and started gossiping like we have always been doing. I like it when we don't have to confront the issue. That is how fights should be resolved. Whoever said 'talking' is the right thing to do, did not try 'ignoring'.

Though the bride was the center of attention I felt kind of special myself. Her dad introduced me to all the relatives of the groom as the bride's 'best friend'. Nobody else had that privilege. My friend, the one who got engaged (engagee??) later mentioned that her dad doesn't know who her best friends are. I ask you dear, why did you then come to me when you needed some of my (useless) advice on guys? Why did you come to me that day when you were in tears? Why did you call me every time our favorite couple were eliminated out of 'Nach Baliye'? Why did you come to me when you needed someone to snoop on your now fiance? Why did you tell me every detail of the conversation you had with him? (I know you didnt tell me every detail but then who does?).Why did you ask me if you were taking the right decision? I think I at least qualify as a good friend. I am very very happy for you. I know in spite of your fears you made the right choice. I wish you both the very best in life. I wish I could be as happy as you are right now.

3 comments:

GuNs said...

First one here !!

Shradz, all your batchmates say their batch is cursed?? Why dont we have a combined gettogether of your batch and mine. I am sure all the poor souls would find some soul-mate or the other !!

Other than that, I've had friends forgetting my contribution to their lives and I've felt awful myself. Some people are just like that. They ask for help when they need it and after the whole thing is over, they think they got out of trouble all alone...like thats a really macho thing to do.

Good to go to sch places and meet old friends. Helps get back all the good memories. Ever wondered why the past always seems better? We'll never decipher that code !!

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

so when is ur turn ?? :)) **wicked grin****

FlyingHigh said...

Guns, Always good to read ur (long) comments!! My friend was kidding, I am her good friend (Best friend is kind of cheesy) and she knows it. Past is always better? I dont know...I cant really say that...

Swathi, Hehehe....not in the near future is all I can say. :)