Thursday, September 21, 2006

Colour colour, which colour do you want?

BMTC buses are getting make-overs. They are no longer of the boring blue and white (they were once red weren't they? And they were called BTS then and tickets costed only a rupee. That was all so long ago. Sigh!) I see buses in jazzy silvers, bright blues and flaming reds. I am confused. Are they just meant to look good? Have they hired new designers? Or do the colours signify something? The shocker was when I saw this bus which had a 'ladies only' board and it was coloured, ahem... pink. All of it. Standing there at the bus stop looking pretty in pink. Ermm..I think the newly hired designers went overboard there. Have to find out more about the ladies only buses though, never heard of them before!

Update:

Dedicating an entire bus to women might be extreme and not economical but I am for the reservation of seats for women in buses. I have been traveling by BMTC buses for nearly 8 years now. I never ask men to leave the seat for me if they are sitting in a 'ladies only' seat. Most of the times I don't mind them sitting. And most of the times men do let women have their seats. When the first few seats are booked essentially the first half of the bus is occupied by women, Not just the seats even the standing area. This ensures that the one pervert (I know not all men are creeps, allow me to assume that there is always one pervert in every bus) is no where near you. So yes. I am damn happy seats are reserved for women in buses. If you want to make things fair, reserve the rest of the seats for men. This way everybody is happy.

5 comments:

GuNs said...

Heard about the ladies only buses on another blog. Might have their place in Bangy but if they start something like that in Pune, the PMT should get a nice kick in the you-know-what because the buses are so bad here that most long distance travelling buses are inhumane. If they focus on doing fancy things like these instead of improving the service, I am sure some poeple will have a word against it.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

Chennai has had Ladies only buses for decades. There is a even a Kamal movie called 'Magalir Mattum' derived from the name plate on these buses. As for Chennai metro, apart from the Ladies only compartments in every train, there are also Ladies only trains at peak hours!

-Balaji.

FlyingHigh said...

Balaji, Don't the men complain

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

Well, I did complain when after a dare devil stunt, I jumped into a running train only to realize that its ladies only!

FlyingHigh said...

Balaji, hehe! I guess they should paint the trains pink to avoid confusion. :))