Friday, January 06, 2006

Happy Birthday A.R. Rehmaan!

I am not his biggest fan, I am just one of the thousands of people who admire him. I am completely in awe with his ability to come up with songs so beautiful, every single time, they make me want to dance, they make me want to cry, they make me want pine for the lover I don't have.

Radio City had a special program dedicated to him from 12 AM to 3 AM. I stayed up till 2 after which I decided listening to his songs on my iPod would be better since there would be no buffoons passing off as RJs interrupting in between. Their conversation was something like this

RJ 1 : It is so dark outside.
RJ 2 : And if we switch off the lights in the studio?
RJ 1: It will be dark inside too.
RJ 1 & RJ 2 : HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!

Me : ????????

But they did play all my favorites, some Tamil songs and some others that I hadn't heard in a long time. It is amazing how every song reminded me of some person or some event. My mind started wandering so much that I had to put down the engrossing and page turner of a book, Dave Barry does Japan.

When they played Snegidane Snegidane, thoughts immediately went out to a friend with whom I had a fight recently. The person who helped me learn the song and explained the meaning to each and every word. The only Tamil song I know the words to. The argument seems silly now. But I have every right to be angry.

One of my colleagues danced to Chinamma Chilkamma at some event in office a year back. Funny guy, his performance was equally funny. I have lost touch with him now. But I keep hearing things about him like the fact that he is dating A, of all people. I don't know what he sees in her.

Jungle main koel bole from Taal was first introduced to me by my cousin who was then about 3 years old. I thought it was some nursery rhyme he had learnt at school. He is 9 now. He has lost his milk teeth and some of his innocence.

Aye udi udi....Vivek Oberoi, I loved his smile. Then Aishwarya happened, press conference happened. Like most of my crushes this one saw a premature death too. This song reminds of that friend again. We saw this movie together just before the semester exams. Maybe its my fault. Maybe I should apologize. But I don't want to be taken for granted.

Yeh jo des hai tera. My roommates made last minute plans to watch Swades, booked tickets for the night show and ditched me because I had to attend a dinner party with my team mates. I was furious but got to watch it the very next morning with some other people. The funny thing is, since it was night show when they watched it, the theatre owner decided to chop off the ending of the movie including this song! I was delighted that I got to see the whole movie while they didn't, they never made plans without me again.

Fanaa. I love this song. Absolutely love it. I now dedicate this song to all those who are reading this. (This is the part where you look for Fanaa mp3 and play it on your system)

Happy Birthday AR. Continue to enthrall people with your music. Thank you for everything.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Madam major introspective, retrospective mood nalli idaare :-)

maybe ella desis think this way :p...nangey sorry helali....naanu vapas "sorry, ondh plate poori" anteeni

Dont worry madkobedi...Cheer up maadi....

faaanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Arunz

FlyingHigh said...

Arun,New year bandagindha swalpa introspective mood alli iddene.Gotilla yaake.
One plate poorie, long time since I heard that. hehe. Cheer up madkondayithu. Tanks.

How do non desis think btw?

~RAUL~ said...

good write up...
And u know wht...i too was one of those unlucky fellas who missed "yeah jo des hai tera" in the movie...though saw the movie again next week and managed to catch the song...
its too good and very much nostalgic !!!

Anonymous said...

Who knows...I am desi...I think like desis do :D

Arunz

GuNs said...

Whats all the cram about Kannada comments. Get out you....write in the universal language (or stick to the national one atleast) !

Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera is easily one of the most moving songs of all-time. No exaggeration. It really made me sit up (I was watching the film from the third row from screen) and take notice. Its been shot even more beutifully. I just love that song.

I saw that film in the theatre, then I got a friend's CD (which I still have with me) and watched it on a borrowed CD player and then when I got my own CD player last month, I bought a brand new ORIGINAL copy of Swades from Crossword and watched it again.

Only film in recent times after Hera Pheri and Aankhen(Akshay/Arjun/Paresh Rawal) that I've seen multiple times.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

FlyingHigh said...

Guns, Its my blog, ppl are free to comment in what ever language they like. Those comments are meant for me and I understand Kannada. If I want to, I will blog in Kannada. Who are u to dictate? Also being a native of Karnataka u should understand Kannada, Shame on u!!!!

I liked swades but it is more like a documentry. Have u seen Mr and Mrs Iyer? Brilliant movie!

FlyingHigh said...

Rahul, Good thing u watched the movie again. I felt the ending was the best part in the movie, and yeah the song is superb!

GuNs said...

Arrghh !!

You are online?

Whats with the rude reply and all? Havin' a bad day?

As for me, I dictate EVERYTHING (I even dictate how Tendulkar should play cricket). Not that anyone listens but well !!

Next time I see a rude reply/comment, I quit blogging altogether !!

LOL...
en maatadtiya?

-PeAcE
--WiTH
---GuNs

FlyingHigh said...

I thought u were rude! Anyway no am not having a bad day and please dont stop blogging, you cant do that to your fans. :))

Er....en mataadtiya? What am I talking? I am talking sense.

GuNs said...

Hey Shradz?

Me rude? when where how??

I am never rude. If you hear any rude comments from me, you can safely dismiss them as useless residue from all the weird reactions that keep happening in my round-top flask.

[;->]
BTW, I got that right then.
en matadtiya = kya boltaay tu(or in your case, kya bolti tu).

e.g. : I am ultra-cool...kyon, kyaa boltaay?

Oh drop it !! I wont be able to make myself clear. See you online later.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

FlyingHigh said...

Ohhh u mean 'en heltiya?'!!!
Seriously take kannada lessons, that way u'll understand all the comments here and ur kids will be proud!

GuNs said...

My kids !!

God !! I wonder if I am ever going to have any. Find me a girl Shradz !!

LOL...I will immediately start taking Kannada lessons from my dad. If I ask my mom, she'll get suspicious and ask if I'm dating some Kannadiga !! She always asks me something like that when I suddenly start talking in Gujrati or Bhojpuri !!

Humkaa pataa hai ee "en heltiya" ka kaa matlab hai. Itni kannada toh humkaa aat hai. Lekin tohaar sabahi dost to bahutai hosiyaar hain ee bhaasa maa. Bachpan se uhaan rahe jo hain !!

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNS

P.S. : Forget that you even read this comment. I just read it myself and my brain is in knots now !

FlyingHigh said...

If there is anyway u can unlearn Bhojpuri or whatever language that is, do that also. :))

GuNs said...

Unlearn?? I didnt learn it in the first place. I havent even been to Bihar. It just seizes me suddenly.

Maybe I was a Bihari in my last life !!

Aaaarghhh no no !! Anything but that.

Sorry for cramming up your comments section. Psst...will you do the same for me on my MS reviews? I would love it if you crammed my reveiws with comments but you;ve been really stingy there.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

FlyingHigh said...

MS reviews? But I'll have to read ur reviews for that. Ok Ok will do that someday.

You are an Ex-Bihari?? That explains why u dont have a girlfriend yet. :))

GuNs said...

I am NOT an ex-Bihari.
But I love the language...its so beautiful,,, so pure ,,, heavenly !!

Someday?? Rather you do it immediately !!

~RAUL~ said...

Am I missing something here? Is this guy the same lift operator who keeps staring/smiling at u?

:o :o

FlyingHigh said...

Guns, Aiyoo not today, tumba lazy!

Rahul, Noooooo, this ones just a useless bugger who was a bihari in his last life.

~RAUL~ said...

ohhh bad...then i guess the lift man would have been better to talk to rather than talking to a useless bugger :d :d

FlyingHigh said...

Rahul, I actually meant to say 'jobless' bugger. But he is fun, I wud have introduced him to u but I think he is looking for a 'girl' friend right now.

Lift man is no where to be seen. Hes gone. History. And no, I am not mourning! :p :p

GuNs said...

Err...

Had gone out to take a caffeine shot. Missed all the action here in the meanwhile.

Shradz...I am NOT jobless. Grr...I have a job. Its my third one, remember? If you call me ex-bihari again, all my further comments will be in Bhojpuri...MIND YEET !!

Mr. Rahul, I am not the lift operator that you speak about. I have never operated a lift for anyone other than self nor do I have any experience in selling/repairing/servicing/torching lifts (a.la. Bruce Willis in Die Hard). Nor am I interested in travelling on top of lifts and dropping in through the top trap door (Hey, isnt there supposed to be a fan there???). I've loved SILENCE OF THE LAMBS but havent tried that lift stunt yet.

I am looking for a girl, yes. Mr. Rahul, I hope you are looking for something similar[;-p].

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

~RAUL~ said...

Shradha, good that you are not mourning. Rather you must now look for the watchman. Who know he too is smiling!!!

Mr. GuNs, Oh no am not looking for "something similar". I've already found one !!! It seems you need a lot of best wishes.
BTW where are u studying dude. I hope its not one of those RECs or IITs :) :)

GuNs said...

Hi Rahul... (sorry for the distraction from YOU, Shradz)

I am not studying in either of those institues. I dont like the atmosphere out there. Thats why I rejected them... [;-p]. You know how boring it gets in those places !!

LOL !!

I'm in Pune, somehow a Kannadiga though I dont speak the language. I write reviews on MouthShut.com. Check out that site sometime. Shradz convinced me to come down here and blog. I seem to be popularizing her blog more than mine with the number of comments !!

I shall hence stop now !!
No more comments on this post !!

Jai Shri Ram !!
-GuNs'

FlyingHigh said...

This post is about A.R. Rehmaan, nobody seems to be commenting on him! Anyway keep commenting, I dont mind as long as u say good things abt me.

Rahul, Watchman? Please! The watchman here is married and has I dont know how many kids.

You found someone??? Who is it? Is it that green eyed girl??? Or is it that girl u got drunk with the other day?? Tell me. Tell me. Out with it. I want details!!

Guns, Write something useful in that blog of urs or write something! Only then u will gain this kind of popularity. Ok, may be not this much but u will gain some popularity. :))

Someone said...

Rehmaan is one of the gr8s of Indian music. Maybe the only one to come close to RD Burman.
U forgot one song. Vande Mataram.
neways, the coversation thru comments on ur blog is almost as good as the blog itself.

GuNs said...

Yeah, this is fun !
I am a little jealous of all the attention she's getting though !

Shradz, you urged me to write and I was up till 1:30 in the night racking my brains trying to write something. Now, when its done, you havent even see it.

Tch tch...bad performance from you, girl !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs