Sunday, August 24, 2008

What have you been up to?

'But what have you been doing all these years? Where have you been?'
I felt then as if I had been called upon to justify the entirety of my existence, to account for the years I had spent here.

-Excerpt from Amitav Ghosh's The Hungry Tide.

The reason I keep low these days mostly on social networking sites is because more often than not people ask me the same question; 'What have you been up to?'. And I feel exactly the same way the author describes in that passage. That people want me to justify the time I've spent. Don't get me wrong, I am always asking people the same question as a conversation starter but when I am asked this its not so much that person wants to know what I have been up to but mostly why I haven't been doing things people my age should be doing. Maybe I am reading too much into this, maybe I am disappointed with the answers I come up with, maybe I am really not happy with what I have been up to, what ever it is, it is one question that I have begun to dread.

What I'd really like my answers to be like when someone asks me next :

I have been touring the Bahamas.

I have been busy with research work for my PhD.

I have been busy signing a deal with umm [insert rich business tycoon/celebrity name]

I have been working on a script for a new television show.

I have been preparing for my speech that I'll be giving at [insert prestigious university name].

You get the point.

Anyhoo, to deviate from the topic I have always been very prejudiced when it came to Indian authors. I have avoided them on the pretext that most write unnecessarily complicated, long and boring books. The last book I liked was Shashi Tharoor's Riot (This was before people knew him and it was okay to say you liked him in public). The Hungry tide has changed my opinion, I am now shopping for more of Amitav Ghosh's books and will also catch up with other good authors whose books I have missed.

So what have you been up to?


10 comments:

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

>> This was before people knew him and it was okay to say you liked him in public.

why, whats wrong with Tharoor?

and btw, "been reading Amithav Ghosh" sounds lot cooler than the options u have mentioned :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha... I really liked the answers. Ya, I know how bugging this Q is. The only thing most of my friends ask me in Orkut is - Hi. How are you. For which, I reply - I am fine, thanks. How are you.

After which, I'm good for a couple of weeks till the same Q pops up again. ;)

FlyingHigh said...

balaji, I was at a book store when I pointed out his book to a friend (I think it was The great Indian Novel) and he launched a tirade against him and how he writes trash. Also his op-eds are repeatedly trashed on India uncut. What I meant was post his UN Sec Gen nomination he seems to have got a lot of attention and people seem to have many opinions. Coming to think of it, didn't you also have strong opinions about his nomination? I am not sure...

>>"been reading Amithav Ghosh" sounds lot cooler than the options u have mentioned

heh, not everyone would agree. ;)

rinchen, hehe yeah, I have 100 plus friends on orkut, I didn't even know I knew that many people! My friend deleted her profile because she couldn't stand being asked the same question. :D

raven said...

i def can connect to ur post. my most dreaded words "what have you been upto"? aka "wassup"?!!!

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

>> Coming to think of it, didn't you also have strong opinions about his nomination?

yeah, I did think that nomination by the Vajpayee govt was a diplomatic misadventure. But we can hardly blame Tharoor for that. He had the credentials. Just that India should not have entered that race.

I guess his Discovery of Nehru was panned by critics. But Riot was an honest book considering he was taking a stand against the BJP government, when keeping them in good humor would have helped him. He almost ruined his chances of being nominated with that book.

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

oh wait, he was nominated by the present govt, not Vajpayee's.

S.. Diva said...

well, nothing much,, just work and stuff.
thats as boring as my answer gets!

btw thanks for dropping by to comment

Unknown said...

no new posts?

Anonymous said...

You're tagged!! http://ringchen.com/737-love-ta

Anonymous said...

Shradz(if I may), I've started working to answer that question in one of the similar ways you want to. :)