Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Doctors

Its been a while since I last blogged and was beginning to worry that I was disappointing those few people who visit my blog. I even had a nightmare or a dream, call it whatever you want, that I had fractured my leg and was blogging about it. Got up to find everything was normal. I was actually disappointed that I didn't have a broken leg and something to write about. Is this normal? Anyway I have been awfully busy and have been traveling which proves that I have a life (Its another issue that my life is not interesting enough to blog about!)
Finished reading Doctors. I don't recommend the book unless you are interested in the medical profession. All the while I was reading the book my thoughts went out to my ex class mate, close friend and now doctor who is in Mysore. She had always been focused and had decided that medicine was the right profession for her, long before I knew what I wanted to do with my life. In college she was the perfectionist, sincerely attended all classes including language classes which most of us preferred bunking . And yet she was fun to be with, always energetic and enthusiastic and though she dragged me with her when she had doubts to ask the profs and though she made me do my chemistry lab experiments accurately, we had a good time in the two crucial years of our life. She went on to score brilliantly in the entrance and took up her dream profession while I took up engineering because everybody else did. I spent most of the four years in the parking lot and canteen while she slogged in the library. Fours years later when most of us got jobs and started working I could see the frustration in her. But the difference is clear now, five years later, she is a doctor and I am just another engineer. I have always admired her and now admire her even more for fulfilling her dream. Its not over for the both of us, we still have lots to do, lots to achieve, I hope we continue to be good friends and I hope I don't have to pay medical bills for the rest of my life :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweden to Salute Director Terry Gilliam
Gilliam was a member of the Monty Python comedy group before becoming a film director.
Your own ebook, just use a mike http://64.44.15.87/deadeasy-shoppeople-only.htm

~RAUL~ said...

Another erich segal classic is "Acts of Faith"(I dont know whether he is the same eric segal u're talking about). Amazing story. And talking about doctors and engineers, I wish I had chosen to stay in the engineering stream(materials science) rather than flowing in a stream called IT. Its such a pain. So so monotonous.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Acts of Faith is the same Erich Segal. Erich Segal is a wonderful author and one of the few ones whose books are not repetitive.
Engg field makes u think of such stuff. Remember, Grass is always greener on the other side.
Cheers
Supriy

FlyingHigh said...

Raul yep same author, Havent read Acts of faith though...And yeah IT is kinda boring! I wished I had stuck to telecom/electronics.

Supriy Thats true, the grass is greener....