Thursday, October 20, 2005

Voice of the City

"Tell me," I said, stammeringly, for I have no voice of my own, "what does this big - er - enormous - er - whopping city say? It must have a voice of some kind. Does it ever speak to you? How do you interpret its meaning? It is a tremendous mass, but it must have a key'

"Here are 4,000,000 people," said I, scholastically, "compressed upon an island, which is mostly lamb surrounded by Wall Street water. The conjunction of so many units into so small a space must result in an identity - or, or rather a homogeneity that finds its oral expression through a common channel. It is, as you might say, a consensus of translation, concentrating in a crystallized, general idea which reveals itself in what may be termed the Voice of the City. Can you tell me what it is?"

"I must go and find out," I said, "what is the Voice of this city. Other cities have voices. It is an assignment. I must have it. New York," I continued, in a rising tone, "had better not hand me a cigar and say: ' Old man, I can't talk for publication.' No other city acts in that way. Chicago says, unhesitatingly, 'I will;' I Philadelphia says, 'I should;' New Orleans says, ' I used to;' Louisville says, 'Don't care if I do;' St. Louis says, 'Excuse me;' Pittsburg says, 'Smoke up.' Now, New York - "

Excepts from O Henry's short story 'The Voice of the City'.

I wonder what my hometown has to say. Bangalore, where malls and mutiplexes are built in a day but new roads and flyovers and take ages, where traffic never moves, where infrastucture reeks, where IT companies and pubs spring up everyday.....What is it saying? 'I cant take it anymore'?

Hyderabad is almost there but not yet....do I hear it say 'I wannabe' ?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Bangalore manages to say that? Maybe.. but I think I hear "choke...choke" everyday.

~RAUL~ said...

i am pretty sure blore wud be shouting "jams, bad roads and pollution" on top of it voice.
Very true that Hyd is almost there. But I hope it does not explodes as Bangalore did.

FlyingHigh said...

Aditya, No I dont hear it, Bangalore's voice is drowned in all the noise but I guess thats what it is saying.

Rahul, Yeah I hope that too.

Someone said...

Bangalore's infrastructure is reeling under the pressure of fast urbanization. As a city I loved B'lore. Now if only they can solve the traffic problem

~RAUL~ said...

we need a new post...
new post...new post

FlyingHigh said...

Someone named supriy, Lot needs to be done. I hope the metro rail project takes shape in Bangalore.

Raul, It will come, it will come...my fans will have to wait until then...

~RAUL~ said...

:P :P :P
:D :D :D
the fans have gone crazy...no new write up for a week :O :O
is it work thats keeping u busy or laziness has taken over ?