Friday, October 14, 2005

Weekend Report

People at my friend's office decided that they weren't having enough fun at office and felt the need to meet up at some place where they could all unwind. A committee was set up on Wednesday and 'Dublin', ITC Sheraton's hip pub was chosen as the place to be. People were informed and a big number of 25 tired and frustrated software engineers agreed to join. I decided to tag along since I knew most people and if not tired I was frustrated enough. Though I come from the land that is home to many pubs, pubbing and pub hopping are concepts that are alien to me. At best I have done 'Coffee Day hopping', No not even that. What we mostly did was 'Symphony Theatre-Rice Bowl-Corner House' hopping. Those were good days but let me not digress. Come Saturday, the number thins down to 15 but the enthusiasm continues to be high. A last minute rush to shopping malls for want of the 'perfect attire' resulted in nothing. Had to dig in our scanty wardrobe and decided to wear our 'attitude' for thats what matters and not what you actually wear(My 'attitude' was striped in case you are interested). Two hours to go and a sudden realization hits everyone that we probably aren't rich enough to afford the above mentioned place and had to settle for a smaller (and affordable) place called Sparks. Place was ordinary but music was good and we managed to dominated the tiny dance floor. I for one ended up having a really good time.

Sunday, I finally did something I have always wanted to do, watched DDLJ (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge) from the start to the end at one stretch (ads and all). I now seize to be an object of constant jeering and the butt of 'She hasn't seen DDLJ yet' jokes. I am now one of them. Maybe because I am not a Shahrukh fan, maybe because I watched it after a decade of its release and maybe because I have never been in love(as some people seem to think), I was not able to appreciate the movie.

The two vodkas on Saturday and the most successful Indian movie on Sunday did not have the desired effect on me but it was a weekend well spent.

6 comments:

~RAUL~ said...

Dublin is way too expensive...and it does not have any space to dance...For a group...Titos seems the best place...huge dance floor... and don't remind me of the land of pubs...i was there for the last 5 days... what fun...when i was there we actually used to do the "symphony/rex - queens - corner house" hopping and that too quite frequently...though it din't happen this time but corner house was a must...the Koramangala one... their DBC and Banana Spilt is too too much... you know any such place here ?

Anonymous said...

Tell me all this isn't in Bangalore...I think I'm going to feel alien in my own land when I go back next Jan...Ofcourse CornerHouse-Symphony-RiceBowl existed in the "old days". Neither did we do the big time pub scene in India nor do we fit into the fast club scene here :))...
And all this in 4 years!

Arunz

FlyingHigh said...

Raul, Dont remind me of DBC,nNo such place in hyderabad, not that I know of. Titos? Whers that?

Arun, I was talking abt Hyderabad. But Bangalore has changed a lot, I am sure u will be in for a surprise when u visit in jan.

I am a misfit where ever I go, pubs and discs are no exception :))

~RAUL~ said...

Oh...its called T2(at Taj Krishna). We call it Titos(for some crappy reason). Big dance floor and ambience is even better. U get a similar version of DBC at Melting Moments near KBR park but am not sure how good it'll be. Their mixed fruit icecream is good though. Try it.

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

@raul - remember the time of our lives we had at T2???

@Shradha- I wud n alwayz reco' Ten Downing Street (TDS) -amazing place to be whether itz a weekday or a weekend- next time check it out

FlyingHigh said...

Swathi, I have heard abt TDS, will check it out soon. Thanks :)