Thursday, November 16, 2006

Travel times are here!

Istanbul's fate is my fate. I am attached to this city because it has made me who I am...

For me it has always been a city of ruins and of end-of-empire melancholy. I've spent my life either battling with this melancholy, or (like all Istanbullus) making it my own.

'Life can't be all that bad', I'd think from time to time. 'Whatever happens, I can always take a walk along the Bosphorus.'

Excerpts from Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul, Memories of a city.

This Saturday I am off to Istanbul, Turkey for two weeks on work. I hope I get to see a glimpse of the city, the people and the Bosphorus whose picture Pamuk has so beautifully painted. Will blog about it once I return!

6 comments:

HP said...

A Safe Journey and a Happy Visit to you..

Cheers,
HP

GuNs said...

How so wonderful a coincidence !

I was watching a programme on Istanbul on BBC last evening. Though I should call you but it was way past your bedtime so I stopped myself.

Some highlights in that programme was :

1) Turkey is the largest (or second largest) producer of LINGERIE in this world. Hmmm.... [:-P]

2) Women wear a swimsuit called a 'hashima' to the beach which is like a raincoat with a hood, so it covers the entire body and just leave the face open !! LOL, look out for THAT.

Both these things are pretty contradictory, I know. Thats what the programme was all about, actually. Turkey is a nation stuck between Islamic thought and Western leanings. So you will see a weird looking mix of both when you get there.

Keep posting and take lots of photos. For a change, lets see YOU in one of those photos !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

FlyingHigh said...

HP, Thank you :)

Guns, Yep Istanbul is a city of contradictions and a mix of old and new. Will post pics when I am back :)

Anonymous said...

If you have the time, check out this place called Pamukkale in Turkey....check it out online before you go there...one of the must visit places on my list....have a safe and enjoyable trip to Turkey...

GuNs said...

Hey...its almost a week ! No news from you !! I cant even check my email now. Gimme a call if you can.

FlyingHigh said...

Prabha, I didn't have enough time for pamukkale :(. I have heard about it and also about cappadochia. Maybe next time :).