Saturday, July 19, 2008

Unfinished posts - 2

6. Untitled (8/11/07)
Much has been happening at work and I realize there is a lot involved to a functioning of a project other than the 4 lines of code that we write. Being good friends with the analyst helps, he tells me after very many calculations and function point analysis and what not that my team will need 6 months to finish. Then comes the manager who unaware of the discussion I had with the analyst tells me we have 3 months only. Much fun it is and Dilbert makes more and more sense everyday. All this estimation though was demystified seems bloody complex. And I began to wonder how budget and time estimations and planning is done for a big project in other industries. Think about movie making. A big bollywood potboiler. Do they have a tool where they input number of heroes and villains. Number of twists. Is it a love triangle? Quadrangle, more people so more time. Evil inlaws...who die so more people but not so much money. Comedian, he comes free, no change in numbers.

7. Untitled (9/7/07)
Nothing seems to be going right. For people around me. I am helpless...

8. Do you care to know where I've been and what I've seen? (9/23/07)
Back from Pune from an official trip. Feels good to be important. Especially when someone at the airport is waiting for you holding up a placard with your name. I wouldn't know because they had the wrong name up. The city though decked up for the festival looked old and worn out to me. But then I really didn't get a chance to see much of the city. Meanwhile back home, B'lore doesn't feel like home anymore. It is crowded and alien. I have never wanted to get away so bad. Also reading 'A thousand splendid suns' doesn't help. It is similar to Steinbeck's Grapes of wrath in the sense that the suffering just doesn't end. And to think it could have actually been a true story, that women in war torn troubled Afghanistan fought battles of survival everyday makes my spine shiver.

9. Untitled (3/5/08)
Its that time of the year (where I work) where everything we have done or not done in the last year is questioned, judged, appraised or ignored. Is there a way in which this can be done in a fair unbiased manner? The way it is designed right now is that it all boils down to one person and your relationship with that one person. The boss. That is in my opinion is unfair. And most people would agree the boss is not always your best buddy at work. To make things a bit confusing we recently turned into a 'flat' organization (whatever that means) from a hierarchical one. That is just a load of crap because there hasn't been any change in the reporting structure, all they did was throw at us some fancy new terms for existing design. To grow, one has to climb up the ladder though they tell you there is no ladder. So how does one get on top of this invisible ladder?

10. Khuda ke liye (4/7/08)
Maybe because I went in with high expectations I was disappointed watching this movie. The message is that Islam is misinterpreted and Muslims wrongly targeted and branded as terrorists. But this post is about the music which so totally rocks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Dilbert beginning to make more and more sense everyday."

What a fantastically true statement! I couldnt agree more.

There was a time when I was in college and used to find Dilbert highly amusing, surreal and exaggerated. I mean, one would finally be Working! Financial independance! Could one ask for more???

5 years down the line, I know. Dilbert makes sense and turns out I was being surreal about the whole work thing :D

Quoting Calvin's dad: If I knew this was how it was going to be, I wouldnt have been in such a hurry to grow up.

FlyingHigh said...

Absolutely. Calvin's dad rocks, dont know why I was in such a hurry to grow up either. What I would give up to go back to those college days! Also pointy haired bosses are everywhere aren't they? Scott Adams gets it right most of the time,and I draw parallels to events and people with every strip he comes out with. Makes it all the more amusing. :)

Anonymous said...

I suppose there's a secret boss law which says he/she wont be called a good boss until and unless someone hates them with all they got.

Guess wont find out until I become one myself sometime in the distant future. In the meantime, there's always plenty of opportunities to gripe about it.

:D

realistic dreamer said...

@khuda ke liye- the ticket was 250 rite?.. paaah. but still watching a pakistani arty kinda movie made me feel like an intellectual!..

but gimme bollywood anyday.