Friday, March 31, 2006

Along came a strange note

Has something like this ever happened to you? Things like that happen in movies, in books, in episodes of Mad about you but I never thought it could happen in real life to real people. When I read Usha's encounter I had gooseflesh not only because it is an amazing story but because it reminded me of the book I had picked up from Blossoms sometime back. I didnt blog about it then because I wasnt very proud of the book and the note I found was umm, not as nice as the one Usha found. Written on the last page of that book is a note from a 'Benny' and it goes like this

Dear Andy,

This was really good I hope you enjoyed it. How is life in the desert? Things are going well out here. I am loving life at Tres's house and we are having a party this friday. I'm glad that war is being averted and my boys are all still safe.
Later,

Benny

I omitted 2 lines from the note because this is a family blog. It has something to do with 'nights with Allie'

I am no good at deciphering the cryptic clues but I'll say Benny, your handwriting sucks. But you can spell. If you liked this book then you read crap, like I sometimes do when I am done reading classics. And if Andy is going to like it then he isnt much of a reader as well. But the one thing I'd really want to know is, what war are you talking about?? And hey I hope the boys are doing well.

The book is James Patterson's Along came a spider. In my defence I havent read it and I have now hidden the book from my dad who has taken a new interest in reading.
The chances of Benny ever writing back to me are as slim as my mom finding me an Ethiopian llama farmer but at least I cant blame myself now for not trying, like they say "How will you ever win the lottery if you never buy a ticket". I will now wait for strange coincidences to occur.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahem...classics???? u mean cal n hobbes??? hehehe

FlyingHigh said...

Shouldnt u be studying for ur exams??

~RAUL~ said...

Llamas in Ethiopia are a very common thing. Check out the Ethiopian Highlands. I guess i've said this before.

And how was the weekend ?

FlyingHigh said...

Rahul, but u wont find well settled konkani speaking llama farmers in Ethiopia..thats my point ;)

Weekend was good, i took badminton lessons from my 8 yr old cousin :)

Balaji Chitra Ganesan said...

Nice blog,

Now that no one has given it a shot, let me try to deciper this note.

Andy: An American Soldier in Iraq before the start of the war.

Benny: Andy's father or football coach etc.

Occassion: Benny replying on receiving this book from Andy. (don't know if this book was lewd, but thats ok for a guy to read in a war zone!)

Background: There is still some confusion on whether UN negotiations will succeed or if US is indeed going to attack Iraq.

Big Question: Is Andy and other Benny's boys still safe?

Balaji.

ps: I read your blog quite regularly. Its funny and interesting. Your Liftman story was the best!

FlyingHigh said...

Balaji, Good job, sherlock! Benny cant be Andy's father though, he wouldnt talk abt nights with Allie, foot ball coach, more likely.

don't know if this book was lewd, but thats ok for a guy to read in a war zone!
Heheheh! Ermm but whats my excuse for buying that book? *hides face in shame*

The big question can only be answered by Benny. The only way he can reach my blog is...hmmm...there is no way he can reach my blog. :(

Liftman story was vry quite popular, ppl wanted to make a movie out of it :))

Thanks for the comment, keep visiting, ur blog is pretty neat, u actually write things tht ppl might want to read unlike some ppl who cant operate lifts and go on to write abt it :))